OTTUMWA, IOWA - Ottumwa Youth Baseball held a press conference earlier this week to officially announce their acceptance as host to the 2016 Babe Ruth Baseball 13U World Series. Pictured are league President Joe Shulz and Babe Ruth Leagues Vice President Robert Faherty. Standing are Ottumwa Youth Baseball League Treasurer Holly Dommer, Iowa State Babe Ruth Commissioner Scott Spurgeon and Ottumwa Mayor Tom Lazio. The tournament will be held in Ottumwa in August of 2016. (Photo courtesy of Pam Credille, Ottumwa Post.)
To: Babe Ruth League Membership From: Steven M. Tellefsen, President/CEO Date: October 7, 2015 Re: 2016 Rule Changes
On behalf of Babe Ruth League, Inc., I want to thank you for the extra efforts you put forth in helping make 2015 a successful and enjoyable season for our participants.
The International Board of Directors has approved the following rule changes beginning with the 2016 season. These changes will be reflected in the 2016 Babe Ruth League, Inc. Rules and Regulations.
1. Cal Ripken Baseball Major and Minor Divisions – Slash Bunt/Fake Bunt – A batter is out for illegal action when the batter fakes a bunt and then takes a full swing. Penalty: The batter is out, the ball is dead, and no runners may advance.
2. Cal Ripken Baseball, Babe Ruth 13-15 Baseball, and Babe Ruth 16-18 Baseball - Rule 11.06 Paragraph 7 (NOTE) – A Cal Ripken Baseball (all divisions) host league, a Babe Ruth 13-15 Baseball (all divisions) host league, and a Babe Ruth Baseball 16-18 host league is given the option of having one or two tournament teams – one team as the host team and one team to compete through the regular tournament competition bracket. At no time is it permissible for a player, manger or coach to appear on more than tournament team roster in the same season.
3. Tournament Team Administration Fee – Beginning with the 2016 season, Babe Ruth League will implement a Tournament Team Administration Fee to help offset the cost of the Official Tournament Trail leading the Cal Ripken Baseball World Series, Babe Ruth Baseball World Series, and Babe Ruth Softball World Series. Babe Ruth League continues to offer a first-class, positive and memorable experience for all players, coaches, families and local league officials. Please note the following fees:
TOURNAMENT ADMINISTRATION FEES a. Cal Ripken Baseball Division 10-Year-Old Tournament Team - $25 12-Year-Old Tournament Team Major 60 - $25 12-Year-Old Tournament Team Major 70 - $25 b. Babe Ruth Baseball Division 13-Year-Old Tournament Team - $25 14-Year-Old Tournament Team - $25 13-15-Year-Old Tournament Team - $25 16-18-Year-Old Tournament Team - $75 c. Babe Ruth Softball Division 8U Tournament Team - $25 10U Tournament Team - $25 12U Tournament Team - $25 14U Tournament Team - $25 16U Tournament Team - $25
4. Cal Ripken Baseball and Babe Ruth Baseball – Any Cal Ripken Baseball or Babe Ruth Baseball League may elect to use a pitch count during local league games. For more information on Pitch Counts, please visit www.baberuthleague.org and click on the “Pitch Smart” link.
5. CLARIFICATION – Cal Ripken Baseball, Babe Ruth Baseball, and Babe Ruth Softball –Rule 11.05, Paragraph 10 - All protests concerning player eligibility must be presented in writing from the protesting League President with clear indication of proof for the protest.
6. CLARIFICATION - Cal Ripken Baseball, Babe Ruth Baseball, and Babe Ruth Softball – Rule 0.01, Paragraph 5 (b.) – With the State Commissioner’s approval, if the physical location of the school where a player attends classes during the traditional academic year is within the boundaries of an established league, the player is permitted to participate in the established league. (Note: This excludes home schools, cyber schools, sports-related schools, sports academies, or after school where a student participates outside of the primary school in which the player is enrolled.) A player is only eligible to participate in one Cal Ripken Baseball; Babe Ruth Baseball; or Babe Ruth Softball League.
7. CLARIFICATION - Babe Ruth Baseball, Cal Ripken Baseball, and Babe Ruth Softball - ALCHOHOL/TOBACCO (All Divisions) – Babe Ruth League prohibits the use of all alcohol and tobacco products on all field and dugouts for both local league and tournament competition. These products include smokeless tobacco, E-cigarettes, vapors, and all related alcohol products.
8. CLARIFICATION - Babe Ruth Baseball, Cal Ripken Baseball, and Babe Ruth Softball – Rule 11.04, Documents – NOTE – These documents must stay in possession of the Tournament Director during each tournament level. These same documents shall accompany the team as they advance in tournament competition. Failure to produce the required documentation can result in the disqualification and elimination of a player, team or league from tournament play.
We value the opinion of our membership and base our future actions and any rule/policy changes on a group consensus. Our goal has always been, and will continue to be, to keep as many players as possible in the great games of baseball and softball, and to make it a fun and memorable experience for all.
In closing, we again thank you for the time you invest for the benefit of our young athletes. Babe Ruth League, Inc. has always been a volunteer driven organization. The phenomenal success we enjoy is a direct reflection of your ever-increasing dedication and enthusiasm.
Cal Ripken 10 yr. old July 20-25 Cal Ripken 12 60’ July 20-25 Cal Ripken 12 70’ July 7-12 Babe Ruth 13 yr. old July 25-31 Babe Ruth 14 yr. old July 25-31 Babe Ruth 15 yr. old July 25-31 Babe Ruth 16-18 yr. old July 22-26
Cal Ripken 9s July 21-26
Cal Ripken 11 (60) July 21-26
Cal Ripken 11 (70) July 21-26
2015 Edition of The Best Players in Babe Ruth League
Parents and guardians of Babe Ruth League were sent a mailing announcing the 2015 edition of "The Best Players in Babe Ruth League", a book created to honor the most outstanding players in Babe Ruth Baseball, Cal Ripken Baseball and Babe Ruth Softball.
The selection of players for inclusion in these books is primarily based upon those players who have been named to their league "All-Star" teams for tournament competition. We believe this is the fairest method of selection because, for the most part, the most outstanding players in Babe Ruth League are those players who in fact have been selected at the local league level to represent their league in tournament competition.
Each player selected to be included in an "All-Star" edition is able to include their personal profile and a photograph to be part of the 2015 Edition. All you need to do is fill out and return the Player Data Form and return it in the self-addressed envelope, both enclosed with the mailing. You may also submit your response information online at www.bestinbaberuthleague.com.
There are also contributing editorials in the book from Tommy LaSorda, Alex Cora, Brad Wilkerson, Alex Fernandez, Charles Johnson, Margie Wright and Rayla Allison.
There are no fees or costs whatsoever to be included in the 2015 Edition of "The Best Players in Babe Ruth League." Of course, and if you desire, you may reserve a copy of this handsome, widely praised, richly grained hardcover keepsake simply by filling out the ordering information on the reverse side of the Player Data Form.
This is a permanent record of your child's accomplishments and is a wonderful memento for your All-Star, for you, and for future generations. Many parents have shared with us that it also makes a terrific gift for any special occasion.
What a great way to honor your special Babe Ruth player. If you have any further inquiries, please contact the order servicing company at 305-420-3668.
To: Commissioners From: Robert P. Faherty, Jr., Vice President/Commissioner Rob Connor, Commissioner Date: September 1, 2015 Re: 2016 Tournament Dates
In order to help you prepare for the 2016 season, listed below are the sites of the 2016 World Series, the playing dates, the team travel dates, as well as the dates when regional tournaments must be completed.
2016 Babe Ruth League, Inc. World Series
Team Travel Date
Ending Date for Regional Tournaments
Cal Ripken 10-Year-Old
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
July 29 – August 5
Cal Ripken Major/60
July 30 – August 6
Cal Ripken Major/70
Softball 14U and 16U
Jensen Beach/Stuart, FL
July 28 – August 3
Softball 8U, 10U and 12U
Jensen Beach/Stuart, FL
Regional Commissioners will set regional tournament dates in the best interest of their respective region. Please be advised that all regional tournaments must be completed by the above-specified dates. Regional Commissioners will advise their respective State Commissioners of the regional tournament dates so they can set their district and state tournament dates.
In order for Babe Ruth League, Inc. to continue to pay the full team travel to the World Series, it is a must that the above dates are strictly adhered to with no exceptions.
The Host Family Program is a time-honored tradition in Babe Ruth League, and it is one of the most important and influential aspects of an international player's experience at the Cal Ripken Major/70 World Series.
The "World Series of Cars" is a fundraising event that assists the Jamestown Committee in hosting the Babe Ruth World Series. The event is recognized as one of the best regional car shows in the Northeast. Up to 400 cars show up, and it is a wonderful walk through the history of the automobile.Read More>
To: Babe Ruth League Commissioners From: Steven M. Tellefsen, President/CEO Date: August 17, 2015 Re: A Big Thank You
As we come to the close of another season, I want to sincerely thank each of you for always going above and beyond for the Babe Ruth League program. As I have said many times, Babe Ruth League has the highest quality volunteer network than any other sports organization.
As I traveled to our World Series this year, I had the opportunity to spend time with many of our volunteers. I continue to be overwhelmed by your genuine care and generosity of time given. You are truly amazing individuals who bring so many wonderful attributes to every endeavor to make the lives of our participants so much better.
When an individual commits themselves to volunteer on a consistent basis, they have chosen to give up their own time to benefit others. Some of the strongest values, service and sacrifices are shown when one places the needs of another above their own. Babe Ruth League realizes and appreciates that many of you take time away from your own families to teach and demonstrate to our “family”- the youth of our program - many valuable life lessons. Please extend our gratitude to your family for allowing you to give so much time to the Babe Ruth League program.
I do hope you have gained some inner satisfaction in knowing that your hard work has made a big difference in the lives of many children. It is my pleasure to give special recognition to all of you who continue to inspire all of us at home plate.
Each of you is a valuable member of our team. The simple truth is without your efforts and support; we cannot imagine where the program would be today. Again, thank you for everything you do for Babe Ruth League.